Pepperoni Pizza Burger
For the Base: 4 hamburger patties
For the Topping:
– some pizza sauce, about a tablespoon per patty, or you could just mash a canned peeled tomato or two and mix it with a teaspoon or so of tomato puree
– mozzarella cheese sliced, enough to cover 4 patties or about a handful of grated dry mozzarella
– pepperoni, about 6 thin slices quartered. You could also use chorizo or salami
– 2 pinches dried oregano
– 1/2 pinch dried chili pepper
– 1 pinch ground black pepper
For the Rolls: 2 rolls, butter
– The patties should preferably be broiled under a grill or cooked on a Weber-like barbecue with the lid on.
– Grill/broil the patties until half cooked and flip them over.
Barbecue: immediately spoon the sauce onto the patties, cover liberally with cheese, top off with the pepperoni (the quartered slices makes it easier on a small surface) and put the lid on the barbecue.
Oven/Broiler: wait a minute or two after turning the patties before you add the toppings. The burgers are ready when the cheese has melted.
– Split the rolls and toast the cut surfaces lightly (under grill, on barbecue or in a dry pan) just before the patties are done. Spread a little butter on the toasted surfaces, add the patty and enjoy a great tasting Pepperoni Pizza Burger.